Thursday, January 1, 2009

Why do we have so much stuffs?


As I was thinking about organizing the home, I was overwhelmed by the fact that this is an ongoing process that just will never ends. Things just pile up and get out of control. To clean up and organize is equivalent to taking our valuable time to spend with family and friends. But yet, why do we keep spending more money on more stuffs? I admit that I am a very frugal person when it comes to spending. I hardly buy any thing in a year except for the essentials. Every time I thought about buying one thing, I have to justify if it is a need or want. Once in a while, I will get wrapped into the societal hurricane and stop thinking hard before buying one thing. It is as much of a cultural influence as a psychological one. America is a substantial materialistic society. I see many use garages mainly to store stuffs, not cars. Worst yet, when the garages run out of spaces,they pay for storage space to safeguard the belongings. I have spent many years defying the force field in this American capitalist society's motto where "spending more is better." In the media, on TV, Internet, everywhere, we have ads telling us that there are newer models of cars, cellphones, even household appliances get smaller and nicer and the trends keep moving faster and faster. If you can't keep up, you are not as cool as others. Sad but true. It is great to have innovative technologies, but when capitalists care more about gains and profits for themselves;cutting corners,mass producing and having false intentions, then it is a different story.
I am so thankful to have stumbled over this video. It is great to feel being supported and reconfirm my ways of thinking.

1 comment:

  1. I find it odd that people choose to use their garages to store junk instead of storing their expensive cars. The cars are left out to get a beating in the cold & heat.

    ReplyDelete