Thursday, May 21, 2009

Margarine vs Butter

I knew Margarine is bad, but I don't know how bad until know. Recently, I have good incentives to make homemade cookies. Some of the incentives are my choice of ingredients without the added additives in cookies that are sitting on store shelves. I always have a thing for baked goods, and always wanted to learn how to bake. If I were to make my own cookies, I am going to make it with the better ingredients, brown sugars, healthy multi-grained flour choice and all that because I get to have my way. But when it comes to butter and its alternative, I was struck. I knew I have to do some good research on it. Butter is full of flavors but also full of fat. I didn't really put much thoughts on margarine until my friend told me she uses it for baking, and another friend told me she likes to use it for spreads. I hate to be a party pooper, but i am too aware of little things like that to omit doing some good research. Here is a little something from the article I read.

"Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback, so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal, so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. More recently, they have come out with some clever new flavorings." - Author unknown, but good truthful information

And here's the most disturbing fact...

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC. This fact alone is enough to make you want to avoid margarine for life, as well as anything else that is hydrogenated. (This means that hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance.)

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or a shaded area. Within a couple of days, you will note a couple of things:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies, will go near it. (That should tell you something.) It will not rot or smell differently, because it has NO nutritional value. Nothing will grow on it. Even tiny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow on. Why? Because margarine is nearly plastic.

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?


I picked this because I always despise Capitalism. The world would be a better place if capitalists make a little less effort in creating byproducts for money. And the people would live happier healthier lives a little bit longer. Of course, at the end, the choice is ours. I think too as the author of this article says, butter is the better choice, at the least, it is a real food. It does have many benefits to our body if eaten in moderation. I would definitely re-evaluate my choices of food to crave for. There is a better alternative to butter for baking, which I spotted on the baking section of Ralph's, the spectrum's all vegetable shortening. It is not hydrogenated, but cold pressed palm oil. Palm oil is one of the good oils to benefit for cooking. I am happy that over the past year, I was more interested in making Chinese food at home. I do not have to include butter in almost all the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment